William Rust established a blacksmith shop in the late 1880’s near Don Victor Castro’s ‘Rancho San Pablo’.
Refugees from the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake settled in area and called the camp Rust.
The Rust, CA post office was established in 1909 (renamed El Cerrito in 1917).
This photo is thought to be from 1915.
There is still a hardware store on the site.
Thanks to Chris Horn for the photo!